Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Rainy day Wednesday

It is a really glum day in NY today. I knew even before I opened my eyes this morning that it was going to be cold and wet outside because I could hear all morning traffic in the streets below kicking up great pools of water as it sped by .The accuracy of my auditory skills was confirmed (not bad for 17% hearing in one ear) as Steve raised the blinds, unveiled the gloomy skyline and let out a sigh.  As huge droplets of water splashed our apartment's windows, I couldn't help but be grateful that I was not putting on a suit and going to work on Madison Avenue this morning.
Hours have passed since the dark dawn and still the grey light has not changed. Mist and clouds are swirling nearby and have obliterated my glorious view of the Empire state and Chrysler buildings. I can't even see the clock tower (about 10 blocks away) which I always use to tell the time (probably explains why I got out of bed so late!!!) I hate this type rainy day, it makes me think about the 6 months of London winter that I am about to endure. Seasonal Affect Disorder ( otherwize known as SAD or wanting to jump off Waterloo Bridge with bags of cement strapped to my legs) is a term that I have become familiar with since my move to the UK.  These sorts of endless grey days really burden my soul, the cure either another emigration or 20 sessions under a Sun lamp for Christmas.
In most cities I have lived in or visited it either rains really hard really briefly, then abates and skies clear ( Oh yes Johannesburg how I miss you) or it drizzles lightly for hours until the wet has permeated everything including your skin and manages to soak itself right into your bones (oh yes London, you know what I'm talking about) but in NY, it appears to beable to do both of these things simultaneously, (trust the Americans to have to be bigger and better than everyone else) there is bucketing, pelting, sloshing rain.... ALL DAY LONG! And I have learned (judging by the state of my rain-soaked trousers) that on days like these outdoor activities are to be avoided at all costs.
 These are days to curl up on the sofa with a good book and a steak sandwhich, (both of which can be ordered online and delivered within the hour- God bless America!!) and feel sorry for all the poor plastic bag-clothed delivery guys, delivering take -out to seasonally affected sun worshipers like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment